LAN traffic

I've implemented a custom system extension VPN for macOS using a Packet Tunnel Provider. At the Protocol Configuration, the 'includeAllNetworks' flag is unset. At the provider, I included all routes (IPv4 default route).

What is the expected behavior for LAN traffic? Should the LAN traffic go via the VPN?

• By 'LAN traffic', I'm referring to local hosts, ssh, printer access, etc.
Answered by DTS Engineer in 788226022

includeAllNetworks is disabled.

Oh, wow, I completely misread that. Sorry about the confusion.

If you claim the default route then you’ll receive traffic for which there isn’t a specific route. By default Apple platforms add routes for all locally connected networks. So, if you have a Mac on Wi-Fi and a printer on that same Wi-Fi, the traffic to that printer shouldn’t come to your VPN.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

includeAllNetworks does what it says on the tin. However, there are additional flags to opt out of specific types of traffic. The obvious one here is excludeLocalNetworks, but you should survey the full set of properties in the NEVPNProtocol class.

IMPORTANT One of the most important is the brand new excludeDeviceCommunication. We recently published a couple of technotes that touch on this:

Share and Enjoy

Thanks eskimo, but please let me rephrase the question:

• 'includeAllNetworks' is disabled.
  • At the provider, all routes are included: [NEIPv4Route.default()]

In this case, should the LAN traffic go via the VPN? Or is the LAN traffic excluded from the VPN?

Accepted Answer

includeAllNetworks is disabled.

Oh, wow, I completely misread that. Sorry about the confusion.

If you claim the default route then you’ll receive traffic for which there isn’t a specific route. By default Apple platforms add routes for all locally connected networks. So, if you have a Mac on Wi-Fi and a printer on that same Wi-Fi, the traffic to that printer shouldn’t come to your VPN.

Share and Enjoy

LAN traffic

Q