persist multiple window state in macOS app

I'd like to support multiple windows in my macOS app, which provides previews of cameras in the system, using the SwiftUI app life cycle, on macOS 13.5.2 and later.

I can make multiple window without any problem, using the default behavior of WindowGroup and the File/New menu item.

WindowGroup(id: "main-viewer", for: String.self) { $cameraUniqueID in
            ContentView(cameraUniqueID: cameraUniqueID)

I can make a specific window on a camera using the .openWindow environment variable:

.openWindow(id: "main-viewer", value:someSpecificCameraID)

What I would like to be able to do is change the 'value' of my window at run time. When a user chooses "New Window", they get a window with a view of the first (or default) camera in it. They can then choose another camera to show in that window. I would like to be able to persist the chosen camera and the position and size of that window (originally opened with File/New Window).

Windows opened with New Window are always opened with a nil value.

Windows opened with .openWindow have their size and content saved, but I don't want to add UI to open specific windows. I want to open a generic window, then specify what camera it is looking at, move and resize it, and I'd like to save that window state.

Is this possible, or am I holding SwiftUI wrong?

persist multiple window state in macOS app

Q