WWDC24 - Xcode 16 + macOS 15 Beta 1 - Unable to Download Predictive Code Completion Model

Hi

Excited to try out the new Xcode Swift code completion ML tools demo'd yesterday at the SOTU.

I am running macOS 14.5, using a VM Via Virtualization Framework ( UTM.app) to run macOS 15 Beta 1.

Ive installed XCode 16 Beta 1 in my Host OS (macOS 14.5) and was able to successfully install, boot, and set up macOS 15 as a VM client.

Ive installed Xcode 16 in my VM Client, and upon launch, was asked to download the Predictive Text model.

I see this error:

The operation couldn’t be completed. (ModelCatalog.CatalogErrors.AssetErrors error 1.)
Domain: ModelCatalog.CatalogErrors.AssetErrors
Code: 1
User Info: {
    DVTErrorCreationDateKey = "2024-06-11 20:11:32 +0000";
}
--
Failed to find asset: com.apple.fm.code.generate_small_v1.tokenizer - no asset
Domain: ModelCatalog.CatalogErrors.AssetErrors
Code: 1
--

System Information

macOS Version 15.0 (Build 24A5264n)
Xcode 16.0 (23037.4) (Build 16A5171c)
Timestamp: 2024-06-11T13:11:32-07:00

Hello!

Unfortunately, the new LLM based code completion features in macOS Sequoia and Xcode 16 don't support VMs, including QEMU VMs like the ones you'd be able to use from UTM.app.

Sorry for the bad news. We hope you'll be able to find another way to give the features a try!

I'm attempting the same thing, but via VirtualBuddy, which I believe uses Apple's virtualization technology instead of QEMU. However, I get the same error when attempting to install the Predictive Text model.

Is there any VM arrangement where we can use/try Predictive Text in Xcode?

If you have enough available storage on your system disk, you can set up dual booting to take macOS Sequoia for a spin. Here's a very good reference video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzUPFeat9U4

Otherwise, one can use an external SSD or flash drive. Just remember to perform a TimeMachine backup before attempting any of these solutions.

I'm not in a virtual machine and I'm still getting the error.

Failed to find asset: com.apple.fm.code.generate_small_v1.tokenizer - no asset

Should I just reinstall and try again?

I'm also not on a virtual machine (I created a partition and booted to it) and I'm getting the same "failed to find asset" error.

WWDC24 - Xcode 16 + macOS 15 Beta 1 - Unable to Download Predictive Code Completion Model

Q