Localizable.xcstrings FAILS on iOS 17 beta 7

I’ve been working with Localizable, and I’m loving it. Unfortunately, upon upgrading to beta 7 this morning, it no longer works on my dev iPhone:

Unable to load .strings file: CFBundle 0x281350380 </private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/743432E9-60F9-4C2D-BA6C-4FF79D4EB467/Dvn8.app> (executable, loaded) / Localizable: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=3840 "Unexpected character b at line 1" UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=Unexpected character b at line 1, kCFPropertyListOldStyleParsingError=Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=3840 "Conversion of string failed." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=Conversion of string failed.}}

I’ve investigated this ‘unexpected character b’ - and cannot figure out what this message is talking about.

What I see on the screen is the key, instead of the localized string.

Using Xcode 15.0 beta 7 (15A5229h) and iOS 17.0 beta 7 (21A5319a)

What makes this completely befuddling is that the Localizable DOES still work on my M1 iPad (also running today’s iPadOS 17 beta 7 - as well as on my older 2015 iPad running iOS 16 - and even on my iPhone 7 running iOS 15. Same exact target, different devices. iPhone running 17 beta 7 fails, all others still work.

I’ve tried powering down everything, remove / reinstall, etc. Nothing works.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of CryptoKoa Down vote post of CryptoKoa
  • Update: I've continued to build / deploy my project to my iPhone, and suddenly, SOME of the localizable strings are showing up, but others are still just showing the key. It is completely random - as I have ONE func that provides the content of each line in a List - and some of them are the key, and some are the localized strings. Again, all of this is true ONLY for my iPhone. My other devices are 100% working as expected. I hope someone can offer some helpful insight...

Add a Comment