iOS 17 Beta 3: Reaching Memory Limit (30MB) in Widget Extension

I don't know exactly why at the moment but it seems that my Widgets are triggering this 30MB memory limit more often since iOS 17 beta 3, causing a crash...

Are any of you facing the same problem?

From what I can analyze with "Instruments" there is no memory leak in my code, but sometimes there is a memory allocation peak which in some cases can exceed 30MB before returning around 15MB.

My widgets extensively use images that are the size of the widget itself and I also sometimes need to compute images (crop/stretch and resize) on the fly when a widget reloads.

With the arrival of Interactive Widgets, it might be time to raise this limit, right?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Clem23 Down vote post of Clem23
1.3k views

Replies

I didn't look to see a crash, but I am definitely seeing some problems with my widgets in iOS17b3. Many of them don't load, or they disappear and refuse to load again. That's probably the crash you're seeing. The biggest violator appears to be the Fitness widget. The iMessage widget for regular contacts also does not load. I removed it and tried to re-add it, but it appears to be missing entirely. I suspect there are some problems with widgets in this release for sure.

Some of the other widgets had a similar issue until I removed them and re-added them.

Totally agree.